Here is a compilation of Fun Facts I got from Spokane’s Visitor Information Center at 201 W. Main Avenue.
- The City of Spokane is home to 202,900 residents. There are around 451,200 total in the metropolitan area
- The City’s Name comes from the Native American tribe that makes its home in this area and means “Children of the Sun.”
- Voted one of 10 All-American cities in 1974 and 2004
- The first Father’s Day celebration took place in Spokane on June 19th 1910
- The Spokane Falls, in the center of the city, is one of the largest urban waterfalls in the United States
- The city’s nickname is the Lilac City and each year the Lilac Festival celebrates the coming of Spring
- Spokane is home to Bloomsday, the Largest timed foot race in the world with over 50,000 participants per year, and Hoopfest, the largest 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the world.
- Grand Coulee Dam, 90 miles West of Spokane is one of the largest concrete structures in the world and is just 57 feet short of a mile long.